Easter is usually a time of indulgence. Wine, chocolates, big meals with family and friends and tons of jellybeans and other sugar loaded sweeties.
No! I am not saying that you cannot indulge in those yummy Cadbury creme easter eggs, but like with everything in life, moderation is key; and creating a healthy balance to around those sweet joys around the holidays.
So here I am presenting you 10 tips for feeling more energetic, heathy and happy during the holiday.
1. Start with a real breakfast for champion! You may not be able to control what's served on the brunch table but you can choose what first goes into your body after you wake up. Make a giant green smoothie or juice to fill you up with nutrients and fibres.
Here is my favourite recipe:
- 1 granny smith apple
- 1 bunch of kale, spinach or other green
- 10cm piece of cucumber
- sprig of mint
- 1 tsp chia seeds (protein boost!)
- fresh mineral or filtered water
- optional: add some spirulina or other superfood
Try to avoid any sweeteners in this smoothie as during the holidays we do load up on enough sugar anyway! :-)
2. Drink plenty of water! To make it more appealing and for an extra detox boost add slices of lemon and/or cucumber to your water jug.
3. Fill up on veggies! Before you dig into all the other delicious things, serve yourself a big portion of vegetables. They will fill you up so it is less likely that you will overindulge into unhealthier choices.
3. Mindful indulgence! After you have filled up on veggies and protein, then enjoy bread, butter and sweeties. But try to eat them mindfully! Enjoy every bite, chew slowly and savour the flavours! This will leave you more satisfied without munching down a whole bag of chocolate-covered caramels.
4. Yoga, baby! Without moving our bodies we are more prone to feel sluggish, lazy and not well overall. So reserve some time for a bit of yoga, walking or running. Here the easter bunny shows you a lovely yoga routine that takes about 15-20 mins. Hold each asana (posture) for about 5 long breaths and repeat on both sides!
5. Make your own healthy crossbuns! Commercial easter buns are usually loaded with sugar and artificial ingredients! Why not make your own healthy version for guilt free indulgence (and you can show off in front of your family and friends!)?
Instead of stevia or dextrose, add some honey for sweetening. The most natural and healthy option.
6. Incorporate some real eggs into your easter celebration! Real eggs are a great source of protein and vitamins. So why not poach, scramble or fry some eggs with wholemeal toast for breakfast together with your smoothie. This surely will fill you up ans boost your energy for hours to come!
7. Meditate and BREATHE! Get togethers with the extended family can sometimes be stressful, when old issues come up. We do not hope this will happen, but better being prepared The best way to spend the holidays with a relaxed aura around you is to incorporate a little daily meditation. 5-10 mins is enough. Best time is right after waking up. Find a quiet space, light a candle, set an intention and follow your in- and exhalation.
8. Moderate your alcohol intake! Do not beat yourself up over enjoying a glass of champagne or two, or pairing your brunch with a delicious bloody mary! But if you do drink alcohol make sure you drink a glass of water after each beverage. This will keep you hydrated and you will feel better for it the next day.
9. Get rest! Staying in bed until 10:00 instead of setting the alarm to go for a run? Definite YES! Take this long weekend to nourish your nervous system by catching up on much needed sleep. 8 - 9 hours is great for your overall well being!
10. Be happy! Last but not least enjoy your holiday, spend time with the people you love and have fun!
LOTS OF LOVE AND HAPPY EASTER!